I'd like to be able to figure out the IP address for a Windows XP file server (on a local subnet, not across the Internet), based on a successfully connected share.

So I know the UNC name of the share, for example
   \\server\sharename\...

(which was enabled by a NET USE to some other share on the same server)

I know the IP address will be of the form 192.168.1.nnn and it's on the same router as my user's machine. The local machines are running XP and Vista (and OS-X), on a workgroup, not a domain. And the server uses DHCP (I think it's called), so the IP address is not fixed over time.

The user of this utility will be then doing a Remote Desktop to the server, if that helps. We know he has permission, since he was able to successfully NET USE to the server. But Remote Desktop doesn't seem to permit him to use the server name, only the IP address.

I've successfully written such a utility, using subprocess to launch IPCONFIG.EXE on the server, but I need to be able to do it from the user's machine, when the server is physically inaccessible.

Suggestions anyone?

Thanks, DaveA