I'll try PING when I next get to the location.

Steven James wrote:
I think the bigger issue is being passed over...why write a program to do
what RDP should already be able to do? RDP should work by machine name. If
it does not, then DNS probably is not set up correctly.

I don't know why RDP won't work by name; I assumed it was because it's a workgroup setup, not a domain. But your comment about DNS makes more sense.

There is no administrator for this system; I have been trying to fake it (It's a non-profit, and I'm a volunteer), mostly by keeping things simple. My only admin experience has been with a home network, though I've been involved in computer software for 40 years, and had computers at home for 30. I don't know how to set up DNS on an XPPro system. This machine is a (file) server only in the sense that it's the only one with shares defined. And it normally has no keyboard or monitor. So RDP is the only easy way in.

Are you, by any chance, using OpenDNS as your DNS servers?

Does your router support DHCP assignment by MAC address (for static-like IPs
with DHCP)? If so, you can always use the same IP instead of looking it up.

Thanks, that would be perfect. I guess it's got to be possible, since they have a shared printer that has a fixed IP. But the printer setup software did it automatically. The router is a plain-vanilla Linksys unit, but I'll be happy to get the password for it, and walk through its menus to see if I can make a static IP.

Thanks all of you.
DaveA
Other than that, I second the "socket.gethostbyname" suggestion.

SJ