Hi Mark,

On 2/26/2010 5:14 PM, Mark Hammond wrote:
On 27/02/2010 2:22 AM, Mike Driscoll wrote:
Hi,

I have been tasked with trying to find a way to query the peak commit
charge of our various workstations. It would be great if I could do it
remotely, but logging is also a possibility. Unfortunately, my Google
skills have failed me as I can't find anyone else who is doing this
publicly. Do you guys have any hints for how best to approach this task?

Here's the use case: We are using Sun Ray virtual desktops and are
trying to figure out how much RAM each VM is using. We are trying to
decide if we can shrink the allocated amount of RAM of if we should just
upgrade the servers.

Maybe look into the win32pdh/win32pdhutil modules?

Mark

I must be dense, but I'm not seeing how to tell win32pdh which counter I want it to count. I did some research on Google and Windows forums and they seemed to either have nothing on the subject or they would mention the Win32_PerfFormattedData_PerfOS_Memory class. I tried querying that with Tim Golden's WMI, but this class only seems to expose the Total commit charge and the limit commit, but not the peak (see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa394268%28VS.85%29.aspx).

The only other hint I found was this: http://forum.sysinternals.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=15540&PID=75852 where someone says the following: "The only way I'm aware of that one can get this detail is from the uMmPeakCommitLimit member of the SYSTEM_PERFORMANCE_INFORMATION structure one passes to NtQuerySystemInformation when calling it with the SystemPerformanceInformation type."

Unfortunately, I don't have a clue as to how to do that in Python. From what I've seen on the list about NtQuerySystemInformation, it doesn't sound like PyWin32 wraps it. Is that correct? Thanks!

- Mike