I have been tasked with integrating an command line program (.exe) with a python web application. The program is intended to be run by a normal user and therefore pops up a "helpful" GUI window that displays a "working on it" type message while the program gathers data from a remote location. The web application is written in python and uses isapi-wsgi to integrate into IIS.

Long story short, I have a routine in my web application that calls the program using the subprocess module, waits for it to finish, and then imports the data it collected. We have successfully tested this routine with the user that the IIS application pool runs under. But, when I try to run said routine from the web application, the external program hangs.

It seems likely to me that you can not run a GUI program under a non-interactive service like IIS. But, I am not 100% sure on this so I was hoping that this list might be able to shed some light on this topic.

Thank you in advance for any help you might be able to give.

--
Randy Syring

For the wages of sin is death, but the
free gift of God is eternal life in