Well, I know this isn't a solution per say, but the usual cause of this
error message is that you failed to call the Win32 API  SetServiceStatus()
with a 'ask me again in x time' or 'i've finished starting successfully'
call in a fairly quick manner. See
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms686241(v=vs.85).aspx
for
more information.

Could python.exe take longer to transition into SERVICE_RUNNING than
pythonservice.exe? I don't know. It wouldn't hurt to pre-generate .pyc or
.pyos to speed up the process.

win32serviceutil.ServiceFramework.ReportServiceStatus(win32service.SERVICE_START_PENDING,
waitHint=20000) might be worth calling during your ServiceFramework
subclass __init__ maybe?
Once your SvcDoRun method has been called ReportServiceStatus has been
called with SERVICE_RUNNING for you.

Another thing to watch out for is that SvcStop/SvcShutdown should call
ReportServiceStatus with SERVICE_STOP_PENDING and a waitHint you're
comfortable with. Otherwise, the SCM might kill your service prematurely.
I've seen this happen on Win2k8 R2 for example.

SvcInterrogate appears to like lying to the SCM, but that seems like a bad
idea. :) (it always returns SERVICE_RUNNING)

Bill