Update - it seems to be the pythoncom27.dll somehow.  I tried deleting the
InprocServer32 key and my com server works now.

I see that I can dodge this issue by specifying _reg_clsctx_ =
pythoncom.CLSCTX_LOCAL_SERVER, but I'm concerned about what the problem
could be with pythoncom27.dll and whether that will bite me some other way
later.  Any guesses on what the problem might be?

Also - what is the purpose in defaulting to use both InprocServer32 and
LocalServer32?  Based on my problem, the default windows choice appears to
be InprocServer32.  When/why would it move on to the LocalServer32 entry?
 It clearly does not do it on error.

Russ