Hi Sean,

I have been using Qt to automate test cases for the different network
security applications and Voice over IP products I used to work on for my
current company and my last company for the last ten years. I have built a
couple GUI apps using both Qt (PyQt4) and Python scripts for these two
companies to run automated tests from the GUI drop-down menus, text boxes,
buttons, etc. that I designed using Qt 4 Designer.   Qt 4 Designer supports
all the various GUI components you mentioned above and more, and you can
design it the way you wanted.  I recommend using Qt 4 Designer.  A few
pointers to learn Qt/Qt 4 Designer:

1.  Use Qt 4 Designer to design your GUI to start of instead of trying to
write the code yourself.  Begin by creating a a button, for instance, and
keep building and adding more GUI widgets as you go, and save into a file
let's called guiApp.ui.  Use pyuic4 batch file to compile and convert your
widget file into Python code:  pyuic4 guiApp.ui -o guiApp.py

2.  When you convert your guiApp.ui into guiApp.py, it creates a Python
class (e.g Ui_Test_Automation for my apps) with widget objects you need to
call to trigger widget actions/signals.  You will need to look into
guiApp.py Python script to learn to use the objects it creates for various
widgets/buttons, drop-down menu, etc.  For instance, if you create a push
button called RUN_TESTS, pyuic4 will create something like the following:

class Ui_Test_Automation(object):
   def setupUi(self, Test_Automation):
        self.RUN_TESTS=QtGui.QPushButton(Test_Automation)

(Google this part as each widget has different actions.signals it can
perform)

3.  For my GUI apps I created, I have another Python script to import
guiApp file I created from step 1 above as follows to run my tests:

from guiApp import Ui_Test_Automation

4.  When I need to trigger an action for the RUN_TESTS button, the code for
that looks something like this:

def __init__(self, parent=None):
   QtGui.QWidget.__init__(self, parent)
   self.ui = Ui_Test_Automation()
   QtCore.QObject.connect(self.ui.RUN_TESTS, QtCore.SIGNAL("clicked()"),
self.RUN_SELECTED_TESTS)

def RUN_SELECTED_TESTS():
   #This method will run all selected tests on the GUI.

5.  Google for sample Qt scripts and how to use and trigger Qt button
signals.  There are a lot of sample codes out there.

I hope this helps.

Heang Lim