It's not that "many programmers still refer to Windows API as Win32", it's
that the Windows API itself has decided that that is what it is called.
When you #define _WIN32 in a C or C++ program using the Windows API, it
does not mean "this is a 32-bit app", it means "I'm using the Windows
API".  That's why you still define this even in 64-bit builds, for example,
where you #define both _WIN32 and _WIN64.

You're not wrong, but it's just that the problem goes deeper than what you
make it sound :)  The Windows API *is* the Win32 API and vice versa.  They
are synonyms.