I use the tangent and it is really robust: its the curve normal that can
break with sharp turn. But my node drives helper/cross section joint and i
have better result with tangent than point at the next point on the curve.
Perhaps try to use a nurbssurface ribbon and than once you are comfortable
with that you can start massaging vector and matrix?

--
view archives: http://groups.google.com/group/python_inside_maya