Thanks for your feedback, guys.
It's good to hear the mostly positive feedback towards this virtual folder
structure idea.

The logic behind everything is indeed made into a library, or rather python
modules. Nuke and Maya imports the shared module (which is heavily focused
on navigating the virtual folders) and then they import their app-specific
module (tools and scripts to prevent the need to dive onto the disk
structure). Same goes for the "standalone mode" which runs directly in your
OS. An admin module allows for automated archiving or reviving of archived
projects.

Regarding optional maintenance vs required maintenance, we are already in
the required maintenance mode. It's just that this is about developing the
company to support certain projects along side archviz/commercials in the
very same folder structure. I would like to avoid building two structures
demanding two versions of the same tool.

So my main concern is really if we were to e.g. move away from Maya in
favor for Modo ... or maybe wanting to utilize Nuke Studio ... or Katana
... what will happen then?
These apps I am guessing are heavily reliant on folder structure on disk.
Perhaps it is possible to customize their behavior in regards to creating
folders and files on disk into my "flat" disk structure and so this won't
be an issue. But I think this is what scares me the most. But right now it
looks like we're going to gain a lot from this. So I think it's worth a go.

Fredrik