I did a fuse filesystem when I was at my previous studio. It wasn't the
primary system. Just a mount that offered specific functionality.
When you navigated it,  it was aware of your user name and could show you a
directory of just your assigned shots and then department specific areas
under that shot. Then it also included general role ups of locations at the
top level. You could go into a location a see just the published data
because it referenced the production tracking and asset system.