*sitecustomize.py* is sourced by python each time the interpreter starts
up. Python will search the PYTHONPATH the first sitecustomize file found.
Immediately after it will search the same set of paths for
usercustomize.py. Both are meant to help you dynamically change your python
environment, though you can do loads more. I can't find a good doc page,
but this writeup is good: http://pymotw.com/2/site/.

*userSetup *is only for Maya. Maya supports a *single *userSetup.mel file,
but since python was added, it now supports *multiple* userSetup.py files.
Maya loop over the entire sys.path and run execfile() on any userSetup.py
found. Read the friendly source here:
Maya2014/Python/Lib/site-packages/maya/app/startup/basic.py

On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 12:03 PM, Kenneth Polonski <kpolon...@gmail.com>
 wrote:

> How would it be possible for me to load the site wide userSetup.py file
> and still have the individual user's userSetup files be functional?

I run multiple userSetup.py files at my studio. I'm not sure why you would
have issues running multiple files. I created a single studio userSetup.py,
but I encourage users to create their own userSetup.py files which will get
executed *after* the studio version which is made available via the
PYTHONPATH. From the source maya will file and execute userSetup.py files
in this order <user>/maya/prefs/scripts, <user>/maya/scripts,
<user>/maya/<version>/scripts.