Or, if you're like me and don't ever remember how the %s formatting works:

imagePath="{pth}icons/staircon.jpg".format(pth=mc.internalVar(userPrefDir=True))

or better yet, because it's a file path:

import os
imagePath= os.path.join(mc.internalVar(userPrefDir=True), 'icons',
'staircon.jpg')

That last one is often best, because it will handle os specific things like
whether directories are split by '/' or by '\'.