Thanks Paul, I spoke to the devs on Friday and apparently the GIL issue was
solved in the latest drop of 2016. It turned out that the client rig in
question was internally running Adam Mechley's shoulder solver and that was
causing the hang and crashes in Parallel.

One thing that did come up was that running a tool which iterates time can
run approx a third of the speed in parallel as it does in DG because
apparently with the EM manager each time change will result in parallel
evaluation of everything that is time dependent, rather than DG that just
sets everything dirty. I did some tests on some of our pipeline and it
really did speed things up switching to DG to compute. I was thinking of
doing a simple context manager to switch on entry of a time related tool,
then revert back to parallel on exit.

Anybody else come across this?