following your attempts at using cPickle in mb files which seems interesting to me... Cant you just append a binary datablock with your data at the end of the .mb file and just preprocess the file reading and deleting that appended block of data before opening the file in Maya? If you do it right you should leave de postprocessed file as the original one exactly with same size. Using a fixed sized datablock big enough to hold your metadata should be easier. As a drawback you should code your own "file open.."