Hi Marcus,
i finally managed to compile and generate the openvdb.lib file.

Im stuck right now with the openvdb maya plugin.

I have compiled "make 3.8.1"  exe and im issueing the following command in
a windows shell:

 <...>\openvdb_maya> make

the openvdb_maya has the following makefile configured by me with all the
paths (see attached):