On 12-feb-2006, at 20:38, Bill Janssen wrote:

The system version is installed in /usr/bin. Or do you mean we should
only support some future version where Apple doesn't place python in
/usr/bin (which I hope doesn't happen)?

Yes, that was the idea.  /usr/libexec/python, or some other directory
unlikely to be on the user's path by default.

I don't know about "only support".  "Hope for" was more like it.

If you want to install MacPython's python interpreter as /usr/bin/python
without replacing system compontents the MacPython distribution wouldn't
be useable on any existing OSX version. That's what I meant with "only support".

Even if Apple were to move it's python interpreter of the default PATH (and I hope they won't do that), I wouldn't be in favor of installing into /usr/bin. It is very annoying when software gets installed into system locations, especially
when you don't quite know what got installed.

Ronald