On 5 feb 2010, at 18:59, Christopher Barker <chris.bar...@noaa.gov> wrote:

> Cocoa's GUI APIs
certainly aren't thread-safe - all calls must go through the main
thread - and I doubt Carbon's GUI APIs are any different.

Well, we need to be clear about what thread-safe means. None of the wx back-ends are thread safe, I don't know if any GUI toolkit is -- it would be nice, but I guess it's just too hard. However, with wx, not-thread-safe means that all call must go through the SAME thread, which may NOT be the MAIN thread.

This is very useful for things like iPython, that let you run an interactive interpreter in the main thread, and all the gui calls are run in another (but all the same one) thread, so you can have an interactive interpreter, and GUI display. This is great for doing interactive plotting with matplotlib, for instance.

Do you really think that Cocoa does not support that? I know there is a Cocoa back-end for Matplotlib, though I don't know for sure if anyone is using with with iPython.

Cocoa does not support this, the main thread has special signifance and the GUI runloop must be in that thread.

Ronald