Rodney Somerstein wrote:
If you care about the Mac (particularly in terms of being able to use
PyObjC and/or py2app), stick with 2.x for now.  Otherwise, it doesn't
matter much which exact version of 3.x you use.

This brings up a question for me as to what the state of Python is on the Mac. Python 3.x has been a available for quite awhile. I see on Python.org that 3.1.2 is listed as the current download for the Mac. What exactly is the current state of this? What doesn't work on the Mac in Python 3 and what are current plans related to this?

Honestly, I don't know if the Mac is in any poorer position with regard to Python 3 as any other platform.

NONE of the major packages I use have been ported to Py3 on any platform: numpy, SciPy, wxPython. Many of those are well supported on the Mac, so I don't think there will be any issues there.

The Mac Python community seems pretty small.

There are a LOT of folks using Python on teh Mac -- the community that is pretty small is the community of folks doing mac-specific stuff -- PyObjC, for instance. It getting to be that the the fradction of development that is done for desktop apps is pretty small -- and that that is done is often done with cross-platfrom tools.

The only folks that care about py2app are folks doing desktop development and the only folks that care about PyObjC are folks doing desktop development for Mac-only applications.

If that is what you want to do, then you are right, the community is pretty small -- is there a larger one built around an open-source dynamic language? I have no idea.

Given that Python seems to position itself as a major programming and scripting language, it seems rather strange that there is so little effort placed into providing first class support for the second most popular computing platform.

It does have first class support for scripting, command line stuff, web app development, etc -- one reason the there are so many more users of Python on the Mac than there are folks on this list is that all that stuff "just works".

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

chris.bar...@noaa.gov