On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 2:48 PM, Ronald Oussoren <ronaldousso...@mac.com> wrote:

> On 8 Jul, 2010, at 22:03, Vincent Davis wrote:
>
>> Ok so my question is not only about python 2.7, and I don't
>> necessarily want to uninstall I just want to download the svn and
>> update. I do have numpy, scipy... and a few other things installed and
>> I will update them at the same time. I am writing a shell script to do
>> this so I was thinking that I could just completely remove py27 and
>> rebuild everything but is this necessary (the completely removing part
>> not the incremental updating :-)
>
> Do you really mean to say you want to update from a 2.7 installation to a 2.7
> installation from the svn repo? In that case you don't have to removing the
> existing installation (or even upgrade site-packages), unless you change the
> architectures (switch to/from a universal build, or to a different kind of
> universal build)
>
> If you upgrade from 2.6 to 2.7 you don't have to remove the 2.6 install, 2.6
> and 2.7 can be used side-by-side (both for unix and framework installs).
>
>> I guess there is just a list of files to remove but I couldn't find a list.
>
> That depends on the type of install. For a framework install (python in
> /Library/Framework/Python.framework) you need to remove
> "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7" and "/Applications/Python
> 2.7". Depending on how you installed and with what options there may also be
> symlinks in /usr/local/bin.

Yes I actually mean updating from 2.7 to 2.7 from svn.
I am running this install
./configure --with-universal-archs=64-bit
--enable-universalsdk=/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk
--enable-framework
Are there other options I should consider? What I mean by that, are
there options you like or recommend. There is a lot I don't know about
./configure and the options.

It's not that I plan to do this often, but I want a shell script that
installs everything I want. I figure I need to right it down somewhere
it might has well be in a script. I plan to host this on github to
share with others.

Thanks for you help
Vincent