(Sorry about the odd quoting and formatting, mobile me webmail crapped out on me)

On 19 Aug, 2010,at 09:45 AM, Virgil Dupras <hs...@hardcoded.net> wrote:

Hi all,

I've been working on a few improvements for py2app. Since Ronald said
he'd bring the repository to mercurial soon, I was waiting, but
managing those patches became too much work so

Mercurial patchqueues make managing patches quite easy.

Wrt. converting the py2app repository: real life interfered with my plans.  I should have some time for this in the weekend, but not before that because I'll be at work until 10pm tonight and need to be back before 9 am in the morning to deal with any fallout from the maintainance we're doing tonight.   It's unlikely that I'll want to work on py2app tomorrow night because of that.

I converted py2app's
SVN repo into a mercurial one and committed my improvements. These
improvements are:

Better py3k support: The "plugin" feature of py2app didn't work at all
under py3k, so I went ahead and did it (thanks to a couple of helpful
tips from Ronald). I also removed dependency on the Carbon module for
the "--alias" option (the Carbon module is not available in py3k).

Those will likely get merged.

Sphinx documentation: I converted the old docs to Sphinx.

Likewise.

Option to use the built-in modulefinder instead of modulegraph: I was
getting tired of having to write workaround imports to modulegraph
(which doesn't like relative imports very well, even the latest
version) and I didn't want to dig in modulegraph itself, so as an
experiment, I added a "--use-modulefinder" option to py2app. I haven't
tested it much, but so far, I'm able to build one of my apps *without*
the workarounds I had for modulegraph, so it my case, it works better.

This won't get merged, I'd much rather fix modulegraph. If that doesn't work out for some reason modulegraph should get ripped out, choosing between the two is unnecessary complexity for both the maintainers and users of py2app.

One of the things on my todolist for py2app and related modules is to add proper tests, which should make it easier to ensure that bugs get fixed and stay fixed.

And then there are the mac-related bugs in CPython itself, which also need my attention.

Ronald