I'm having some surprising issues with bdist_mpkg and I wondered if
anyone had advice.

Problem building a PIL 1.1.7 binary installer for Mac OS X 10.3.9 and
later:
* The PIL binary for Python 2.6 does not work on 10.3.9 or 10.4: the
_imaging C library cannot be loaded.
* The Python 2.5 PIL does not have this problem - it works fine on
10.3.9.
* There are no problems on 10.5 and 10.6.

Problem building a matplotlib 1.0.0 installer for Mac OS X 10.3.9 and
later:
* The resulting matplotlib segfaults on Mac OS X 10.3.9 for both Python
2.5 and 2.6.
* The Python 2.6 version has incorrect permissions for some data files.
I know how to work around this but am puzzled why it is necessary.
* The Python 2.5 version has no permission problems.

My setup:
- Mac OS X 10.5.8 Intel system
- Python 2.5.2 and Python 2.6.6 both from python.org
- bdist_mpkg 0.4.4 (installed using pip)
- Build instructions for matplotlib:
<http://www.astro.washington.edu/users/rowen/BuildingMatplotlibForMac.htm
l> (the procedure for PIL is similar).

I tried building on 10.3.9, but the gcc is so old that I get buffer
overflow vulnerability warnings so I'm not keen to go this route. I'll
have a 10.4 machine in a few weeks and I'll try that.

-- Russell