On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 22:53:24 +0100, Charles Hartman <co...@conncoll.edu> wrote:

If I understand correctly, you want to build an editor with a Python
component, rather than interact with an existing editor.  If I'm wrong,
maybe AppleScript/TextEdit is a way to go; maybe someone else will have tips
on how to do that.

Thank you for your reply. I went through the yellowbrain.com site on the STC and learnt a lot.

And I also found peppy, the python-based XEMacs-like editor based on the STC. So that may be the best of both worlds: an editor with functionality, and the STC hooks that would allow me to implement what I wanted. I would like to use the lexer that you mentioned, but I have a feeling it might be easier for my purpose to use the stc_onChange event, because the lexer appears to be particularly designed for triggering text coloring rather than for returning tokens that can trigger actions (am I wrong ?).

I would still also like to find an AppleScript+TextEdit solution if one seems plausible.

Thanks again for the very prompt and useful reply !!

Suresh