Thanks for the quick response.  Unfortunately I can't get this to work, now
for other reasons.  I've attached the updated setup.py file and my simple
test program (test_app.py) to this email.

The problem seems to lie with pytz:

] python setup.py py2app

....(lots of byte-compiling messages here)....

] byte-compiling /Users/maschmidt/test_app.py to test_app.pyc
] error: cannot copy tree
'/Library/Python/2.6/site-packages/pytz-2011h-py2.6.egg/pytz/zoneinfo': not
a directory

I did some googling and found that this is a persistent problem with
matplotlib, but none of the work-arounds I tried worked.  I tried editing
the recipe/matplotlib.py file to read 'tzinfo' instead of 'zoneinfo' and
that didn't work, and I tried explicitly including pytz and letting
pytz.zoneinfo = pytz.tzinfo in my setup.py file.  Something else seems to be
askign for pytz.zoneinfo.

I'm using python 2.6.1, scipy 0.9.0 dev, numpy 2.0.0 dev, matplotlib 1.0.0,
py2app 0.6.3

I'd love to know if anyone has successfully gotten py2app to bundle a
stand-alone app using numpy, scipy and matplotlib, and if so, could they
please send me a sample script?

Thanks a bunch,
Michael