In article
<cacayy8v2rpgdzxusqyfwg88z6hsh-upej_-udns-rxvzpoe...@mail.gmail.com>,
 Michael Schmidt <elmicker...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the quick response.  Unfortunately I can't get this to work, now
> for other reasons.  I've attached the updated setup.py file and my simple
> test program (test_app.py) to this email.
>
> The problem seems to lie with pytz:
>
> ] python setup.py py2app
>
> ....(lots of byte-compiling messages here)....
>
> ] byte-compiling /Users/maschmidt/test_app.py to test_app.pyc
> ] error: cannot copy tree
> '/Library/Python/2.6/site-packages/pytz-2011h-py2.6.egg/pytz/zoneinfo': not
> a directory

This may be a problem that bit me awhile ago. If so, it was a bug in
py2app that has since been fixed.

I suggest you install the most recent version of py2app. I also suggest
you install matplotlib 1.0.1 (I believe you said you were using 1.0?)
using the binary installer; that will give you a fresh pytz.

If you really want to play it safe:
- Save an archived copy of your site-packages, just in case
- Throw away dateutil, pytz and matplotlib and pylab
- Edit easy_install.pth and remove any mention of these packages
- Install a new matplotlib from the Mac binary; this should give you
fresh copies of all these

-- Russell