thanks Ronald.

I"m afraid starting from the common line (with open) results in the same
error, and no messages to the console.

Everything is in the app bundle.

and I did find the template in the bundle:

MapRoom.app/Contents/Resources/maproom/templates/default_project.maproom

so I think what's changed is the root for the uri it's using:

 'uri': 'template://default_project.maproom'

Now to figure out where / how that's set.

-CHB