Hi,

I've had those problems on windows and I did not know about the
solution suggested by Merlijn. I usually worked around that by reading
the data from a file insead of the prompt. Cygwin might also be a
solution if you're familiar with *nix but forced to work on Windows
[1]

Regards,
   Strainu

[1] http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/setup-locale.html