On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 11:09 AM, Sub Phil <phil40...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Bug policy debate and so on..
>
> Well, just sharing experience from as a past developper and notorious bug
> fighter.
>
> There is no other point in creating a database of bugs and not treating
> them, than to have an ultra-complicated list of known issues (so complex
> that users report are duplicated) and frustrated reporters (and testers).
>
> "It is no a display of disrespect when a certain bug is not fixed."
> Yes until you have a list of open bugs, which generated itself a list of
> duplicates...
> What matters is the evolution ratio closed / confirmed by release (e.g.
> 3.4.1) and cumulated version (3.4.x).

Metrics like this could be useful if we're measuring defects not
defect reports.  Unfortunately the duplicates, plus the "how do I?"
and other non-defects that users enter , make this difficult to
estimate.  My impression is that close to half of the Bugzilla reports
are invalid.   We'd need to do a major clean up of Bugzilla before we
even knew how many actual defects are there.

> "I would like to add another one.  I am a developer.  When I spend time on
> fixing bugs then I sometimes wish there where a big list of all open bugs
> that are sorted according to importance.  I would go down the list and grab
> a bug from the top that lies in the area of my expertise (Impress, UI,
> Slideshow, Sidebar).  Without such a list I have to prioritize bugs by
> myself.  And if I do that then I use my own judgement of which bug is
> important and which is not."

To the extent that rated priority is a motivation to volunteers, this
is true.  But we have all sorts of volunteers.  I think some of them
have enough stress in their real lives that they don't want to take
"high priority" issues and world rather work on lower priority ones,
where there is less urgency.

Also, much of this depends on where we are in the release.  Once we
have completed regression testing we want to avoid introducing
additional risk.  So it is no longer "open season" for fixing just any
defect.  We need to weigh the risks involved.  In many cases, for less
serious bugs, we fix them in a later release, so they can undergo a
full test pass.

> This further illustrate the fact that in order to handle these list, one
> has introduced techniques such as priority and vote for bug.
>
> My own experience shows, that all these are not good policy for bug
> treatment, it's a dispair.

Prioritization is not despair.  It is just acknowledging that changing
the code after testing has completed is risky, and that we should only
make changes now where absolutely necessary.  Despair is what users
feel when we don't show such precautions and see a last minute fix
introduce a serious bug that is not caught before release.

> Bug should be assigned in groups regarding a feature with final objective
> in mind.
> What do I mean by feature.
> Take for instance in Calc, the pivot table function.
> All bug regarding pivot table should be treated together, or most of them.
> Why concentrating?
> Because:
> 1/ It takes time to fix a bug, because one needs to understand or
> re-understand the implementation.
> "- Fixing a bug usually takes a lot more time and effort than reporting one.
> Also, often because test case scenario are not narrow enough - see my other
> post.
>
> 2/ By taking all bugs related to a piece of source code, each time you
> become more familliar and so more efficient. In a sense you proof reading
> it several times, you get leverage on bug handling.
>
> 3/ By reviewing several related bugs, you reduce the risk or regression, as
> you've been through it several times, each time with a deeper understanding.

This is a good practice to follow, before the main test pass
completes.  After than we intentionally aim to minimize the changes to
the code.  Otherwise we don't have a good sense of what the quality is
we're release.

Bugs are bad, but with testing we can at least have a degree of
confidence that there are no defects above a certain severity level.
If we make unrestrained changes after the test pass then our degree of
confidence is reduced or eliminated.

> "The other thing to note is that bug fixes are not risk-free.  Studies
> have shown that 25% of defects in code are side effects of changes".
> FFmpeg is really a good example for regression, to a point I stopped
> reporting (first you have to convince it's a bug, then it lays pending to a
> wish to fix it and then you find older release which works...)

I know it can be frustrating as a tester to see defects you reported
go unfixed in a release.  I've been there.

> 4/ Having fixed a bulk of related feature bugs, report the fix is
> implemented to all different reporters. They will(hopefully if done in a
> reasonable time, not like me who got a mail for a bug I posted 2 years
> ago...) test "their" bug and by doing so improve the total quality control
> and reduce regression risk.
>

> What do I mean by assigning by objective.
>
> Well, here is for me where the votes should take place, grouped by user,
> tester and developer (might have different interests).
>
> Suppose, pivot table code is considered as a mess by developpers and ought
> to be re-written by next release. There is no point in fixing pivot table
> bug now.
>
> Suppose users consider that priority should be assigned in this order
> 1. fix doc format issues
> 2. fix grammar check issues
>
> It has to be respected and if there is a "critical" bug in another field,
> well if it will wait.

All good ideas.  But we do need to respect where we are in the release
cycle for AOO 4.0.  Main testing is done.  Main bug fixing is done.
We're not going back to do feature work, clean up or whatever for this
release.  We're fixing a few remaining severe issues in preparation
for release.   The time to suggest specific other bugs for this
release was many months ago.  Of course, this is a great time to
suggest specific bugs for AOO 4.1.   Along with feature work for AOO
4.1 it would be great if we could identify priority bugs to fix in
that release, so fixes could be integrated into the release before the
AOO 4.1 test passes conclude.

IMHO there are no bad ideas here.  They are just mistimed ;-)

Regards,

-Rob