On 6/20/13 8:01 PM, Edwin Sharp wrote:
> Yes.
> please allow to share the following objections:
> 1. in general, bugs shouldn't be rated

I disagree here and you always rate issues starting with setting a
priority. And as always you can't fix them all with a fix number of
developers. It simply doesn't work. That means you have to prioritize
and that is quite normal.

> 2. most are crashes - "release blocker" can be other than crash - i.e. copy
> chart from Calc into Writer results in chart area without curve. this is a
> huge bug that doesn't involve a crash
exactly and we have defined some criteria for issues, crashes, data loss
and security issues have always high priority. Regressions are also very
important especially when often used functionality is broken.

It is documented in the wiki but I haven't the reference in place yet,
have to look for it.

> 3. with all the respect to Norwegian users, print dialog too wide is a
> negligible problem
not for this specific user group and the fix is already available.

> 4. there should be a documented evidence to the bug evaluation process, based
> on approved SOP
I am not sure if I understand you here

> 5. the general public has no declared release date - no need to rush as there
> is no commitment to fulfill
no but the project have committed to a release date and I believe the
majority of the community support the new release. You have to set a
date and have define what is important for this date. You can always do
more and can fix more issues but that won't work very well.

> 6. "minor" bugs should also get attention and be targeted
definitely but not short in front of a release. And of course nobody
prevent anybody from fixing such issues. We have a lot of them, many are
probably not longer valid and can be closed, other are not easy to fix
and so on. A good start would be of course to simply check older issues
if they are still valid or not.

> 7. the judgment of introducing the sidebar with so many pending bugs should
> be justified to demonstrate openness
as far as I know we haven't pending bugs here. Don't mix this up with
improvement or feature requests. Maybe I don't understand you and you
can explain it again

> 8. RTF is rarely used today - no reason for two appearances in the list
RTF is as far as I known relevant for Ms interoperability in general and
important for other MS filters as well. Even the pure format is not used
often the functionality is important. If somebody knows more please
correct me.

> 9. Are there no "critical" bugs in Math, Draw and Base?
probably yes and probably many other critical bugs in other areas that
are not detected yet or not proposed as showstopper

> 10. Are there enough volunteers to treat these "release blockers" on time?
we hope we can fix them all but volunteers are never enough ;-)

If you think that other issue should be showstopper as well, please
propose them on the dev list and we can discuss them. That's the way how
we want to handle it

Further discussion should take place on the dev list

Juergen