> Subsequent releases of the branch would contain no functionality
> enhancements, but just bug fixes, with the eventual aim of achieving
> 'it just works' status for any x86/x86_64 guest I try to install/run.
> I know that's a tall order, and that 0.9.0 may not be able to supply
> that for all guests.  But it is an important goal to strive for.

While I agree stability is a desirable goal, and there is obviously users want
a stable product, I'm not sure a qemu is mature enough to make a stable
branch worthwhile.  Especially considering the very limited technical
resources we have available.

> I am writing to propose that a stable branch be made from the 0.9.0
> release point.  The aim would be to maximise stability for (IMO) the
> subset of functionality that has the largest potential user base:
> i386-softmmu + Accelerator and x86_64-softmmu + Accelerator, but
> excluding -kernel-kqemu due to limitations described in
> http://qemu.org/kqemu-doc.html#SEC7.

Whereas I think the single easiest way to increase the user base would be to
merge the kvm patches. Definitely not something suitable for a stable branch.

> My impression is that (at least as I perceive it) the lack of emphasis
> on maximising stability on a stable branch, and the lack of a bug
> tracker, is artificially restricting QEMU's user base, and therefore
> indirectly its long term prospects.  This is a shame, because QEMU is
> a very remarkable and useful project, which should be used (and
> usable) by everybody and anybody.

A bug tracker doesn't help unless you've got someone who triages, monitors and
eventually fixes those bugs. There is a bug tracker on savannah, but noone
has the time or motivation to use it.

Are you volunteering to maintain this stable branch, and look after the bug
tracker?

Paul