Hi,

Interesting work. I don't have any particular comments for the code, but I
wanted to address a few of the points here.

> 2. Rust delivers faster parsing.

For me, the point of simpletrace.py is not to be the fastest at parsing, but
rather to open the door for using Python libraries like numpy, matplotlib, etc.
for analysis.

There might be room for improvement in the Python version, especially in
minimizing memory usage, when parsing large traces.

> Security
> --------
>
> This is an example.
>
> Rust is very strict about type-checking, and it found timestamp reversal
> issue in simpletrace-rust [3] (sorry, haven't gotten around to digging
> deeper with more time)...in this RFC, I workingaround it by allowing
> negative values. And the python version, just silently covered this
> issue up.

I'm not particularly worried about the security of the Python version. We're not
doing anything obviously exploitable.

—
Mads Ynddal