On Mon, May 27, 2024 at 04:14:15PM +0800, Zhao Liu wrote:
> Hi maintainers and list,
>
> This RFC series attempts to re-implement simpletrace.py with Rust, which
> is the 1st task of Paolo's GSoC 2024 proposal.
>
> There are two motivations for this work:
> 1. This is an open chance to discuss how to integrate Rust into QEMU.

I don't think this proposal really triggers that discussion to any
great extent, because 'simpletrace.py' is not a part of the QEMU
codebase in any meaningul way. It is a standalone python script
that just happens to live in the qemu.git repository.

The difficult questions around Rust integration will arise when we
want to have Rust used to /replace/ some existing non-optional
functionality. IOW, if Rust were to become a mandatory dep of QEMU
that could not be avoided.

In fact I kinda wonder whether this Rust simpletrace code could
simply be its own git repo under gitlab.com/qemu-project/....,
rather than put into the monolithic QEMU repo ? That just makes
it a "normal" Rust project and no questions around integration
with QEMU's traditional build system would arise.

With regards,
Daniel