* Thomas Huth (th...@redhat.com) wrote:
> On 31/05/2024 16.02, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
> > * Thomas Huth (th...@redhat.com) wrote:

> > > Why do we have to rename the command? Just for the sake of it? I think
> > > renaming HMP commands is maybe ok, but breaking the API in QMP is
> > > something
> > > you should consider twice.
> > >
> > > And even if we decide to rename ... maybe we should discuss whether it
> > > makes
> > > sense to come up with a generic command instead: As far as I know, ARM
> > > also
> > > has something similar, called MTE. Maybe we also want to dump MTE keys one
> > > day? So the new command should maybe be called "dump-memory-keys" instead?
> >
> > I think there are at least two different concepts; but I agree it would be
> > nice to keep a single command for matching concepts across different
> > architectures;
> > I can't say I know the details of any, but:
> >
> >    a) Page table things - I think x86 PKRU/PKEY (???) is a page table thing
> >      where pages marked a special way are associated with keys.
> >      That sounds similar to what the skeys are???
>
> Sounds a little bit similar, but s390 storage keys are independent from page
> tables. It's rather that each page (4096 bytes) of RAM has an additional
> 7-bit value that contains the storage key and some additional bits. It's
> also usable when page tables are still disabled.
>
> > I'm not sure the two fit in the same command.
>
> Does it make sense to dump all the MTE or x86 keys all at once? If so, we
> could maybe come up with an unified command. Otherwise it might not make
> sense, indeed.

So they're all really different granularities:
    s390 - one key/physical page
    ARM MTE - one tag/16 bytes physical
    x86 - per virtual page; then a current register with 16 permission
         sets

For x86 I guess it would be easy to dump the register, and then the
values for a range of virtual addresses.
But then if you dumped a range of physical addresses on ARM MTE you'd
get hundreds times more output than for the equivalent s390.

Dave

>  Thomas

/ Dr. David Alan Gilbert    |       Running GNU/Linux       | Happy  \
\        dave @ treblig.org |                               | In Hex /