On Mon, Jun 10, 2024 at 11:29:36PM +0300, Manos Pitsidianakis wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Jun 2024 22:37, Pierrick Bouvier <pierrick.bouv...@linaro.org>
> wrote:
> > > The staticlib artifact contains a bunch of mangled .o objects?
> > > ==============================================================
> > > [staticlibmangledobjects] Back to [TOC]
> > >
> > > Yes, until we compile without the `std` module library or we compile it
> > > manually instead of linking it, we will have some junk in it.
> > >

> > Besides the size aspect, which potential advantage would there be to
> > switch to no_std?
> > We don't build a bare metal or kernel binary here, so why introduce this
> > restriction willingly?
>
> We'll see that as we progress. Might enable more platform support, for
> example. I have no definite answers here. Also, I know binary bloat is a big
> complaint from people with dislike of Rust, so I pre-emptively addressed it.

Requiring 'no_std' would significantly limit what 3rd party crates QEMU
can make use of, and thus would put more burden on QEMU maintainers.
I don't find "binary bloat" a credible technical argument on its own
either, so certainly not sufficient justification to take on the pain
of 'no_std'.

With regards,
Daniel