Hi there :)

On 11/06/2024 12:58, Manos Pitsidianakis wrote:
On Tue, 11 Jun 2024 13:57, "Daniel P. Berrangé" <berra...@redhat.com> wrote:
On Mon, Jun 10, 2024 at 11:29:36PM +0300, Manos Pitsidianakis wrote:
On Mon, 10 Jun 2024 22:37, Pierrick Bouvier <pierrick.bouv...@linaro.org> wrote:
> Hello Manos,
> > On 6/10/24 11:22, Manos Pitsidianakis wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> > and is used in hw/arm/virt.c).
> > not write Rust as a C developer would.
> > could be). I will leave such minutiae for later iterations.

snip

> Maybe it could be better if build.rs file was *not* needed for new
> devices/folders, and could be abstracted as a detail of the python
> wrapper script instead of something that should be committed.

That'd mean you cannot work on the rust files with a LanguageServer, you
cannot run cargo build or cargo check or cargo clippy, etc. That's why I
left the alternative choice of including a manually generated bindings file
(generated.rs.inc)

I would not expect QEMU developers to be running 'cargo <anything>'
directly at all.

QEMU's build system is 'meson' + 'ninja' with a 'configure' + 'make'
convenience facade.

Any use of 'cargo' would be an internal impl detail of meson rules
for building rust code, and developers should still exclusively work
with 'make' or 'ninja' to run builds & tests.

No, that's not true. If I wrote the pl011 device with this workflow I'd just waste time using meson. Part of the development is making sure the library type checks, compiles, using cargo to run style formatting, to check for lints, perhaps run tests. Doing this only through meson is an unnecessary complication.

My favorite tool for Rust development is rust-analyzer, which works very well with cargo-based projects. Making it work with meson is just a matter of pointing rust-analyzer to the rust-project.json file generated by meson at configuration time (just like compile_commands.json).

Unfortunately, rust-analyzer also relies on cargo for doing its check. I was able to override that with ninja, but it requires `meson setup` with `RUSTFLAGS="--emit=metadata --error-format=json"`. That makes rust-analyzer happy, but compilation output is not readable anymore being json-like.

I ended up working with 2 build folders, one for me, one for rust-analyzer. So, yeah, it complicates a bit.

To compile and run QEMU with a rust component, sure, you'd use meson.

Cheers,
Antonio