Hi

On Thu, Jun 13, 2024 at 3:34 AM Kim, Dongwon <dongwon....@intel.com> wrote:

> On 6/11/2024 11:42 PM, Marc-André Lureau wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > On Tue, Jun 11, 2024 at 10:28 PM Kim, Dongwon <dongwon....@intel.com
> > <mailto:dongwon....@intel.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     Hi Marc-André,
> >
> >     On 6/5/2024 12:26 AM, Marc-André Lureau wrote:
> >      > Hi
> >      >
> >      > On Tue, Jun 4, 2024 at 9:59 PM Kim, Dongwon
> >     <dongwon....@intel.com <mailto:dongwon....@intel.com>
> >      > <mailto:dongwon....@intel.com <mailto:dongwon....@intel.com>>>
> wrote:
> >
> >      > Xorg may not be going away soon, but it's used less and less. As
> >     one of
> >      > the developers, I am no longer running/testing it for a long
> time. I
> >      > wish we would just drop its support tbh.
> >
> >     There are features offered by Xorg that are not offered by Wayland
> >     compositors and again, we have customers that rely on these features.
> >     One of them is the ability to position the window via
> >     gtk_window_set_position(). There are strong arguments
> >     made on either side when it comes to window positioning:
> >
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/wayland-protocols/-/merge_requests/247
> <
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/wayland-protocols/-/merge_requests/247
> >

> >     Until there is a way to do this with Wayland compositors, we have to
> >     unfortunately rely on Gnome + Xorg.
> >

> > It's a smaller and smaller number of users. The potential/future users
> > are greater if we focus on Wayland.
>
> Right, but until Gtk + Wayland offers the same feature parity and
> customization as that of Gtk + Xorg, there will be distros/users that
> will keep it alive.
> >
> > Fwiw, GNOME (and RHEL) is set to drop Xorg support
> > (https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-session/-/merge_requests/98
> > <https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-session/-/merge_requests/98>)
>
> Doesn't look like it is going to happen anytime soon given the massive
> pushback.

The plan is there, GNOME has made bold moves in the past. There is not much
left in the TODO. But yes, it takes a bit longer than expected.

> > Btw, there is a similar monitor-mapping functionality implemented in
> > virt-viewer/remote-viewer:
> > https://www.mankier.com/1/virt-viewer#Configuration
> > <https://www.mankier.com/1/virt-viewer#Configuration>. Is this
> something
> > that those users could use instead?
>
> It looks a bit similar and interesting but one difference is that our
> feature uses monitor labels such as DP-1, HDMI-2 which is a bit more
> intuitive. And, the other key difference is that our feature includes

Intuitive, perhaps. Discoverable and portable?

"hotplug" functionality where a Guest display/window is deeply tied to a
> physical monitor to make it appear to the guest that it is dealing with
> a real physical monitor.

In other words, when the physical monitor is unplugged, the associated
> guest display/window gets destroyed/hidden and gets recreated/shown when
> the monitor is hotplugged again.

Interesting case that could be added to virt-viewer if it's necessary.

The subject is sufficiently complex that there is already additional
documentation/specification in:
https://gitlab.com/virt-viewer/virt-viewer/-/tree/master/docs?ref_type=heads

Honestly, I don't support the idea of duplicating this effort in QEMU.

--
Marc-André Lureau