Hi Marc-André,

Ok, it is good to know dmabuf is used for sharing the scanout between processes when using dbus or virt-viewer.

BTW,

I have some more comments on your previous answers. I just copied ans pasted your previous comments. Sorry about any inconvenience caused by this delayed response.

[Marc-André] The plan is there, GNOME has made bold moves in the past. There is not much left in the TODO. But yes, it takes a bit longer than expected.

[Dongwon] If Gnome abandons Xorg, then users would find other distros or other desktop environments that support Xorg. My point is why should Qemu GTK UI not support those distros/environments that support Xorg today with new features? If maintainability is your concern, again we can offer supporting this feature as long as there is a distro out there that supports Xorg.

[Marc-André] Intuitive, perhaps. Discoverable and portable?

[Dongwon] We thought about doing the multi monitor mapping similar to how virt-viewer is doing it but we chose monitor labels because they uniquely identify the monitors even if they are repeatedly unplugged/plugged which may not be possible if we use integer IDs to represent monitors. For example, if virt-viewer client identifies a DP-1 with monitor ID 1 and a HDMI-1 with ID 2 and they are both unplugged and HDMI-1 is hotplugged first, I don't think it would probably ID 1 with HDMI-1 as there is no way for it to know without the label.

[Marc-André] Interesting case that could be added to virt-viewer if it's necessary.

[Dongwon] The implementation might become very complex if we were to add the "hotplug" functionality as opposed to the simplicity with which it is done with Qemu GTK UI. And, it appears there is no flexibility to make policy changes such as using monitor labels instead of monitor IDs. And, btw, from a quick look, virt-viewer appears to use the same API(gtk_window_move()) that we are relying on, so I guess a similar fate awaits it if Xorg is gone or it switches to GTK4.

[Marc-André] Honestly, I don't support the idea of duplicating this effort in QEMU.

[Dongwon] That is unfortunate. It is a similar, but a different feature with "hotplug" and labels as its core as described earlier. I think it may not be a great idea to force users who are already using Qemu GTK UI given their use-cases, to use virt-viewer (which adds another layer of
complexity) just to use this feature.

[Dongwon]
Thanks!

On 6/14/2024 1:41 AM, Marc-André Lureau wrote:
Hi

    https://gitlab.com/virt-viewer/virt-viewer/-/tree/master/docs?ref_type=heads
<https://gitlab.com/virt-viewer/virt-viewer/-/tree/master/docs?ref_type=heads>
<https://gitlab.com/virt-viewer/virt-viewer/-/tree/master/docs?ref_type=heads
<https://gitlab.com/virt-viewer/virt-viewer/-/tree/master/docs?ref_type=heads>>

     > Honestly, I don't support the idea of duplicating this effort in
    QEMU.

    Marc-André,

    My assumption is virt-viewer might not be able to completely replace
    GTK-UI path in terms of performance and smoothness of display update as
    (I think) frame copy between processes is implied, which is same as

There is no frame copy when using DMABUF scanouts between qemu and client.
Iow, the performance difference is negligible / noise level.

    spice-remote viewer. What about display-bus that you have been working
    on? Would it be a good alternative w.r.t perf concern that I specified
    above?

There shouldn't be much difference for the local DMABUF display case.

--
Marc-André Lureau