On 6/19/24 13:13, Manos Pitsidianakis wrote:
+# FIXME: These are the latest stable versions, refine to actual minimum ones.
+msrv = {
+  'rustc': '1.79.0',
+  'cargo': '1.79.0',
+  'bindgen': '0.69.4',
+}

A note for other rust newbies:

These versions are pretty darn close to actual minima. Ubuntu 24.04 packages rust 1.77, which does not support (but has a warning reserving syntax for)

+    println!("cargo::rerun-if-env-changed=MESON_BUILD_DIR");

Since even the newest distros will not have current enough rust versions, we must rely on 'rustup'. This may be available even on older distros; for instance Ubuntu 22.04 has rustup via 'snap'.

I think this is good enough for rust development within qemu, but it may require that the configure switch be opt-in: default no rather than default auto.

r~