On Tue, 25 Jun 2024 at 03:20, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé <phi...@linaro.org> wrote:
> Since you are posting different C++ enablement cleanups,
> I suggest you add a section in our docs/devel/style.rst
> requesting to keep headers C++ compatible, by not using
> C++ reserved keywords, etc...
>
> In particular because the mainstream project is not build-testing
> for C++, thus we will likely merge patches breaking C++ and
> make your life harder. That said, a C++ header smoke-build job
> in our CI could help.

Unless there's some easy mechanism for contributors to check
that they haven't broken whatever our C++ requirement is,
I don't think we should define it in the style guide.

More generally, we specifically removed the handling we
had for being able to include our headers from C++ source
files. (cf the stuff we added in commit 875df03b221 for
extern "C" blocks and then removed again later). If we're
not bringing that back (and I don't think we should) then
we're not actually trying to have our headers be C++
compatible, so what are we aiming for?

thanks
-- PMM