Hello Daniel,

On Wed, 24 Jul 2024 12:55, "Daniel P. Berrangé" <berra...@redhat.com> wrote:
Many times we see a build job start failing, we wonder if the installed
packages have changed since the last passing build. We can rarely
diagnose this, however, since we only have the new container image, not
the old one.

APT allows you to specify to pin package versions when installing; wouldn't that help ensure our tests are deterministic?

Furthermore, a gitlab cron job pipeline can be set up to run every e.g. few months and inform of any updates so that we can manually bump them.

Manos

The lcitool generated containers create a /packages.txt file whose
content is intended to be output in the build phase, so record the
packages associated with the build.

This adds packages.txt to the manually written containers, and modifies
the build jobs to display this content. This will improve our future
debuggability of CI problems.

Daniel P. Berrangé (2):
 gitlab: record installed packages in /packages.txt in containers
 gitlab: display /packages.txt in build jobs

.gitlab-ci.d/buildtest-template.yml                      | 1 +
.gitlab-ci.d/crossbuild-template.yml                     | 2 ++
tests/docker/dockerfiles/debian-all-test-cross.docker    | 3 ++-
tests/docker/dockerfiles/debian-hexagon-cross.docker     | 3 ++-
tests/docker/dockerfiles/debian-legacy-test-cross.docker | 3 ++-
tests/docker/dockerfiles/debian-loongarch-cross.docker   | 3 ++-
tests/docker/dockerfiles/debian-tricore-cross.docker     | 3 ++-
tests/docker/dockerfiles/debian-xtensa-cross.docker      | 3 ++-

2.45.2