25.09.2024 13:23, Mattias Nissler wrote:
On Wed, Sep 25, 2024 at 12:03 PM Michael Tokarev <m...@tls.msk.ru> wrote:
..
So, the issue has now become CVE-2024-8612 (information leak), with this
commit (v9.1.0-134-g637b0aa139) being the fix.

Interesting. IIUC, this is triggered by device implementations calling
dma_memory_unmap with an incorrect size parameter as provided by a
hostile guest. Shouldn't the device implementations be fixed to
validate the parameter as well? Maybe this has already happened? It
would seem the more targeted fix to me.

Yes, a similar question occurred to me too, - this change does not look
like a proper fix for CVE-2024-8612.  And nope, no other changes has been
made to fix it properly, in the device implementations.

Maybe now with CVE-2024-8612 in place, we can fix the actual problem in
the right place, instead of relying on this change..

Should we back-port it to previous stable releases of qemu?
(it applies to 9.1 but not to 9.0, and I haven't tested it even in 9.1.
If anything it needs some work for 9.0 and before)

FWIW, I've been running with earlier variants of this since at least
8.0.50, so a backport shouldn't be hard. Note that if we decide to
backport, we should also include "mac_dbdma: Remove leftover
`dma_memory_unmap` calls", which fixes a bug uncovered in mac_dbdma
uncovered by the concurrent bounce buffers change.

So far I picked this and mac_dbdma change for 9.1, and will try to
back-port things up to 8.2.  But it is better - IMHO - to have a real,
more targetting, fix for CVE-2024-8612.

Thanks,

/mjt