Am 24.09.2026 um 13:30 hat Daniel P. Berrangé geschrieben:
> On Thu, Sep 24, 2026 at 12:46:41PM +0200, Kevin Wolf wrote:
> > Am 24.09.2026 um 11:29 hat Alex Bennée geschrieben:
> > > Kevin Wolf <[email protected]> writes:
> > >
> > > > Am 21.09.2026 um 15:20 hat Daniel P. Berrangé geschrieben:
> > > >> On Mon, Sep 21, 2026 at 09:52:48AM +0200, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> > > >> > +.. note:: **Use of AI does not remove the need for authors to comply
> > > >> > + with all other requirements for contribution.** In
> > > >> > particular,
> > > >> > + the ``Signed-off-by`` label in a patch submission is a
> > > >> > statement
> > > >> > + that the author takes responsibility for the entire
> > > >> > contents of
> > > >> > + the patch, certifying that their patch submission is made
> > > >> > in
> > > >> > + accordance with the rules of the :ref:`Developer's
> > > >> > Certificate of
> > > >> > + Origin (DCO) <dco>`.
> > > >> > +
> > > >> > + Since a submitter cannot audit LLM output against its
> > > >> > training
> > > >> > + data, the DCO is paired with :ref:`metadata in the commit
> > > >> > message
> > > >> > + <ai-used-for>` about AI-generated parts. The DCO still
> > > >> > certifies
> > > >> > + that the contributor has the legal right to submit code
> > > >> > in general.
> > > >>
> > > >> I'm not a fan of this second paragraph, as that feels like it is
> > > >> undermining
> > > >> the DCO. That first sentence in particular is somewhat saying that the
> > > >> contributor does not have to think about plagarism and thed project is
> > > >> ok
> > > >> with that, and also implying that the DCO doesn't apply to the LLM
> > > >> output.
> > > >> This is both not OK in its implication of the project accepting some
> > > >> liability, and then also contradicted by the next sentence.
> > > >>
> > > >> IMHO this paragraph should just be removed. The first paragraph
> > > >> clearly
> > > >> states the DCO applies to the submission as a whole, and leaves all
> > > >> liability
> > > >> for infringement on the contributor.
> > > >
> > > > I don't think making this the individual contributor's problem is great.
> > > > It's rather unfriendly towards contributors to expect them to certify
> > > > something that we all know they can't honestly certify.
> > >
> > > This is the current position with the DCO anyway. If the contributor has
> > > copy and pasted (and maybe adapted) from Stack Overflow they are still
> > > realistically the only person that can make that judgement.
> >
> > Yes, that's the current position with the DCO and the reasoning why we
> > said LLM output is unacceptable in submissions.
> >
> > The big difference is if I copy and pasted from Stack Overflow, I _know_
> > that I did that. If the LLM effectively does it for me, I don't know
> > that. The best I can do is check if I can find similar code elsewhere.
> >
> > So while I can certify with 100% confidence that I didn't manually copy
> > things for code that I wrote myself, I can't certify that code from
> > other sources, including LLMs, isn't copied from elsewhere. I can only
> > say that I didn't find any reason to suspect it's copied.
>
> > > > Our current AI policy was built on the assertion that it's impossible to
> > > > sign the DCO for AI output, and I think that's still right. A developer
> > > > can't certify the origin of something when they don't really know where
> > > > it comes from.
> > >
> > > It's certainly possible for LLMs to replicate copyright material but by
> > > far the biggest influence is the code *in the project* that shapes the
> > > output. It is basically pattern matching and predicting after all.
> >
> > If there is one chunk of code that violates the copyright of someone,
> > you can't heal that just by having 1000 more chunks that are clean.
> >
> > > What level of reassurance the submitter needs to be able to certify with
> > > their DCO is up to them. We can't police it, like every other submission
> > > we rely in the submitters good faith representation of what they have
> > > done.
> >
> > The DCO doesn't talk about levels of reassurance. It talks about hard
> > facts, 100% confidence.
> >
> > And that I can't give you with LLM generated content. I can maybe give
> > you 99%, but never 100%.
>
> I appreciate you're speaking about licensing/copyright here, but more
> generally I think we're probably wrong in asserting that a human
> authored contribution can ever be said to be 100% safe to QEMU with
> a DCO signoff. It is risk mitigation, but not absolute.
Yes, and I don't think I'm claiming it can, quite the opposite. (Maybe
Alex is with "we are insisting they are confident there is no legal risk
in what they submit", though).
The difference is probably that you're looking at it from the project
perspective and I'm looking at it from the contributor perspective.
Would I be happy to sign the DCO for AI output? I would probably be
fighting my conscience because I know that everyone (possibly including
my manager) expects me to do that even with AI output, but at the same
time I also can't certify something I don't know for a fact. That would
be a quite unpleasant situation.
Our current policy is quite clear on this, and I seem to remember that
it was even you who brought up the reasoning with "it's impossible to
sign the DCO for AI output":
To satisfy the DCO, the patch contributor has to fully understand
the copyright and license status of content they are contributing to
QEMU. With AI content generators, the copyright and license status
of the output is ill-defined with no generally accepted, settled
legal foundation.
Where the training material is known, it is common for it to include
large volumes of material under restrictive licensing/copyright
terms. Even where the training material is all known to be under
open source licenses, it is likely to be under a variety of terms,
not all of which will be compatible with QEMU's licensing
requirements.
How contributors could comply with DCO terms (b) or (c) for the
output of AI content generators commonly available today is unclear.
The QEMU project is not willing or able to accept the legal risks of
non-compliance.
What has changed so fundamentally (i.e. not just shifted in numbers)
since then?
The commit message doesn't give any explanation. It says "but AI is so
useful today", and I can agree with that. But it doesn't change anything
about license status. If something is impossible, then that it would be
useful doesn't somehow make it possible, and we shouldn't pretend that
it does.
So either we need a reasoning why things have changed fundamentally (or
why we now think our old reasoning has been wrong from the start) so
that it's now okay to request contributors to sign the DCO for AI output
when we previously officially asserted that this is impossible for them
to do in good faith, or we need to have different standards than the DCO
for AI output.
Everything else would be very inconsistent.
> From a copyright POV, if we write the code ourselves we can have
> confidence we didn't copy it and thus licensing is likely OK (unless
> you inadvertantly memorized some previous code you saw and reproduced
> it too closely), but there are other legal aspects. Trademarks are
> one risk, since we reference lots of vendor's hardware features, but
> in practice this very rarely arises as a problem for projects, beyond
> the obvious areas like project name, logo, and other visible branding
> aspects. Software patents are the really big hidden trap that anyone
> could unintentionally fall foul of at any time and have caused high
> profile problems for projects periodically.
>
> If someone knows their employer has a patent that is likely to be
> restrictive for possible use in QEMU, then they shouldn't sign off
> or contribute code implementing something covered by the patent
> without the employer granting unrestricted use. We're certainly
> not expecting people to do searches for 3rd party patents though,
> so the DCO is not a 100% guarantee of risk elimination to QEMU.
>
> We tolerate that risk because there is no practical action that a
> contributor can take to mitigate. Further many large tech companies
> have thus formed defensive pacts to de-fang the risk.
>
>
> With this in mind, it is perhaps not that different to accept a little
> bit of uncertainty in risks of LLM unknowingly copying from training
> material or 3rd party incompatibly licensed code it happened to find
> while walking the web ? The key is that users need to be diligent
> in their use of the tools, not reckless. Norms for what that means
> are still be established - the so called "clean room" or license
> laundering, re-impls of projects are a massively risky activity
> but are the exception.
So basically you're saying that it's our interpretation of the DCO that
was wrong from the beginning, and it shouldn't actually be understood as
strict/literally as we said it should?
Even if people generally agree that that's the case, that should be made
explicit. With the history of our claim that it's impossible to sign the
DCO for AI output, we can't just mention in passing that the usual
requirements like signing the DCO apply as if that is the most natural
and uncontroversial thing to do, when we ourselves are claiming the
opposite today.
I think that's what Paolo tried to address with the paragraph you
suggested to remove. While its wording isn't perfect, I do think we need
something like it.
> > > > If we decide that we don't care as much about the legal risks any more
> > > > and that we're willing to accept them to some extent, that should be
> > > > explicitly reflected in the policy.
> > > >
> > > > It seems to me that the cleanest way to do it is to exempt correctly
> > > > advertised (with 'AI-used-for:') AI output from the DCO requirement and
> > > > instead add to the 'AI-used-for:' definition some relaxed version of it,
> > > > e.g. "I have reviewed the contribution for potential licensing issues
> > > > and haven't found a reason to doubt that I have the rights to submit
> > > > this AI generated content under the open source license indicated in the
> > > > file". This is something that could realistically be certified by
> > > > contributors in good faith and also isn't just "anything goes", but of
> > > > course it still is weaker than the DCO.
>
> I like the idea of associating "AI-used-for" with an explicit
> statement like:
>
> "By using 'AI-used-for', a contributor both identifies areas of
> the patch that involved use of AI/LLM, and also attests that
> their usage of AI/LLMs was in compliance with the policies
> outlined in this document"
>
>
> Then we can add whatever guidance we want in the AI policy that
> steers people away from LLM usage patterns that we know would
> expose us to undesirable risk. Explicitly stating that we do
> not want LLMs used to "clean room" / "license launder" re-impl
> existing code is something we could include.
Sure, that could be done.
> Or guide that agents should not be given free access to live git repos
> to reduce change of direct copying ?
I'm less sure about this one, as long as it's contained to specific
repos (e.g. a library that QEMU uses), it could be very useful and also
not too bad to review - and we know the licenses are compatible anyway.
Kevin