On Mon, Feb 14, 2022 at 02:52:29PM +0000, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 07, 2022 at 11:22:14PM -0800, Elena Ufimtseva wrote:
> > This patchset is an RFC version for the ioregionfd implementation
> > in QEMU. The kernel patches are to be posted with some fixes as a v4.
> >
> > For this implementation version 3 of the posted kernel patches was user:
> > https://lore.kernel.org/kvm/cover.1613828726.git.eafanas...@gmail.com/
> >
> > The future version will include support for vfio/libvfio-user.
> > Please refer to the design discussion here proposed by Stefan:
> > https://lore.kernel.org/all/YXpb1f3KicZxj1oj@stefanha-x1.localdomain/T/
> >
> > The vfio-user version needed some bug-fixing and it was decided to send
> > this for multiprocess first.
> >
> > The ioregionfd is configured currently trough the command line and each
> > ioregionfd represent an object. This allow for easy parsing and does
> > not require device/remote object command line option modifications.
> >
> > The following command line can be used to specify ioregionfd:
> > <snip>
> >   '-object',
> > 'x-remote-object,id=robj1,devid=lsi0,fd='+str(remote.fileno()),\
> >   '-object',
> > 'ioregionfd-object,id=ioreg2,devid=lsi0,iofd='+str(iord.fileno())+',bar=1',\
> >   '-object',
> > 'ioregionfd-object,id=ioreg3,devid=lsi0,iofd='+str(iord.fileno())+',bar=2',\

Hi Stefan

Thank you for taking a look!

> Explicit configuration of ioregionfd-object is okay for early
> prototyping, but what is the plan for integrating this? I guess
> x-remote-object would query the remote device to find out which
> ioregionfds need to be registered and the user wouldn't need to specify
> ioregionfds on the command-line?

Yes, this can be done. For some reason I thought that user will be able
to configure the number/size of the regions to be configured as
ioregionfds.

> > </snip>
> >
> > Proxy side of ioregionfd in this version uses only one file descriptor:
> > <snip>
> >   '-device',
> > 'x-pci-proxy-dev,id=lsi0,fd='+str(proxy.fileno())+',ioregfd='+str(iowr.fileno()),
> >  \
> > </snip>
>
> This raises the question of the ioregionfd file descriptor lifecycle. In
> the end I think it shouldn't be specified on the command-line. Instead
> the remote device should create it and pass it to QEMU over the
> mpqemu/remote fd?

Yes, this will be same as vfio-user does.

> > This is done for RFC version and my though was that next version will
> > be for vfio-user, so I have not dedicated much effort to this command
> > line options.
> >
> > The multiprocess messaging protocol was extended to support inquiries
> > by the proxy if device has any ioregionfds.
> > This RFC implements inquires by proxy about the type of BAR (ioregionfd
> > or not) and the type of it (memory/io).
> >
> > Currently there are few limitations in this version of ioregionfd.
> >  - one ioregionfd per bar, only full bar size is supported;
> >  - one file descriptor per device for all of its ioregionfds;
> >  - each remote device runs fd handler for all its BARs in one IOThread;
> >  - proxy supports only one fd.
> >
> > Some of these limitations will be dropped in the future version.
> > This RFC is to acquire the feedback/suggestions from the community
> > on the general approach.
> >
> > The quick performance test was done for the remote lsi device with
> > ioregionfd and without for both mem BARs (1 and 2) with help
> > of the fio tool:
> >
> > Random R/W:
> >
> >                  read IOPS  read BW     write IOPS   write BW
> > no ioregionfd        889        3559KiB/s   890          3561KiB/s
> > ioregionfd       938            3756KiB/s   939          3757KiB/s
>
> This is extremely slow, even for random I/O. How does this compare to
> QEMU running the LSI device without multi-process mode?

These tests had the iodepth=256. I have changed this to 1 and tested
without multiprocess, with multiprocess and multiprocess with both mmio
regions as ioregionfds:

                         read IOPS  read BW(KiB/s)  write IOPS   write BW
(KiB/s)
no multiprocess             89           358           90           360
multiprocess                138          556           139          557
multiprocess ioregionfd     174          698           173          693

The fio config for randomrw:
[global]
bs=4K
iodepth=1
direct=0
ioengine=libaio
group_reporting
time_based
runtime=240
numjobs=1
name=raw-randreadwrite
rw=randrw
size=8G
[job1]
filename=/fio/randomrw

And QEMU command line for non-mutliprocess:

/usr/local/bin/qemu-system-x86_64  -name "OL7.4" -machine q35,accel=kvm -smp
sockets=1,cores=2,threads=2 -m 2048 -hda /home/homedir/ol7u9boot.img -boot d
-vnc :0 -chardev stdio,id=seabios -device
isa-debugcon,iobase=0x402,chardev=seabios -device lsi53c895a,id=lsi1 -drive
id=drive_image1,if=none,file=/home/homedir/10gb.qcow2 -device
scsi-hd,id=drive1,drive=drive_image1,bus=lsi1.0,scsi-id=0

QEMU command line for multiprocess:

remote_cmd = [ PROC_QEMU,                                                      \
               '-machine', 'x-remote',                                         \
               '-device', 'lsi53c895a,id=lsi0',                                \
               '-drive', 'id=drive_image1,file=/home/homedir/10gb.qcow2',   \
               '-device', 'scsi-hd,id=drive2,drive=drive_image1,bus=lsi0.0,'   \
                              'scsi-id=0',                                     \
               '-nographic',                                                   \
               '-monitor', 'unix:/home/homedir/rem-sock,server,nowait',
       \
               '-object',
'x-remote-object,id=robj1,devid=lsi0,fd='+str(remote.fileno()),\
               '-object',
'ioregionfd-object,id=ioreg2,devid=lsi0,iofd='+str(iord.fileno())+',bar=1,',\
               '-object',
'ioregionfd-object,id=ioreg3,devid=lsi0,iofd='+str(iord.fileno())+',bar=2',\
               ]
proxy_cmd = [ PROC_QEMU,                                           \
              '-D', '/tmp/qemu-debug-log', \
              '-name', 'OL7.4',                                                \
              '-machine', 'pc,accel=kvm',                                      \
              '-smp', 'sockets=1,cores=2,threads=2',                           \
              '-m', '2048',                                                    \
              '-object', 'memory-backend-memfd,id=sysmem-file,size=2G',        \
              '-numa', 'node,memdev=sysmem-file',                              \
              '-hda','/home/homedir/ol7u9boot.img',                      \
              '-boot', 'd',                                                    \
              '-vnc', ':0',                                                    \
              '-device',
'x-pci-proxy-dev,id=lsi0,fd='+str(proxy.fileno())+',ioregfd='+str(iowr.fileno()),
               \
              '-monitor', 'unix:/home/homedir/qemu-sock,server,nowait',
       \
              '-netdev','tap,id=mynet0,ifname=tap0,script=no,downscript=no',
'-device','e1000,netdev=mynet0,mac=52:55:00:d1:55:01',\
            ]

Where for the test without ioregionfds, they are commented out.

I am doing more testing as I see some inconsistent results.

> > Sequential Read and Sequential Write:
> >
> >                  Sequential read            Sequential write
> >                  read IOPS  read BW     write IOPS   write BW
> >
> > no ioregionfd    367k           1434MiB/s   76k              297MiB/s
> > ioregionfd       374k           1459MiB/s   77.3k        302MiB/s
>
> It's normal for read and write IOPS to differ, but the read IOPS are
> very high. I wonder if caching and read-ahead are hiding the LSI
> device's actual performance here.
>
> What are the fio and QEMU command-lines?
>
> In order to benchmark ioregionfd it's best to run a benchmark where the
> bottleneck is MMIO/PIO dispatch. Otherwise we're looking at some other
> bottleneck (e.g. physical disk I/O performance) and the MMIO/PIO
> dispatch cost doesn't affect IOPS significantly.
>
> I suggest trying --blockdev null-co,size=64G,id=null0 as the disk
> instead of a file or host block device. The fio block size should be 4k
> to minimize the amount of time spent on I/O buffer contents and
> iodepth=1 because batching multiple requests with iodepth > 0 hides the
> MMIO/PIO dispatch bottleneck.

The queue depth in the tests above was 256, I will try that you have
suggested. The block size is 4k.

I am also looking at some other system issue that can interfere with
test, will be running test on the fresh install and with settings you
mentioned above.

Thank you!