Hi Peter,

> Is a VIC a configurable option on the real hardware (well, FPGA image, I
> guess) that this board is modelling ?
> I couldn't find any docs on it with a quick google.

This specific example-board from Intel does not provide a VIC option, as far as
I know.
(https://fpgacloud.intel.com/devstore/platform/15.1.0/Standard/max10-10m50-development-kit-ghrd-with-nios-iiddr3qspi-flashethernetmsgdmauartadc-with-linux/)
Unfortunately, I couldn't find a publicly available nios2 board with a VIC.
I've added "10m50-ghrd-vic" as an example to demonstrate how to wire VIC.

In practice, we use Intel tooling (Quartus Prime) to generate both the hardware
(nios2 + vic + other devices) and the software BSP that works with it.
That is probably the regular workflow. Since nios2 is a "soft" cpu on an FPGA,
each one generates their own custom "board" wired with the devices they need,
memories etc.
In the future I may be able to share Neuroblade's QEMU nios2 board because it
is quite generic - it consumes a device tree, parses it, and wires devices
according to it, so it can automatically match the generated HW.

> Also, I wonder if we should have a vic machine option to the machine rather
> than creating a whole new machine type?

Sure, if you think it makes more sense.
How do you suggest doing that? A class property for the nios2 machine class? Or
is there some other standard way for adding a machine specific option?

Thanks,
Amir

The contents of this email message and any attachments are intended solely for
the addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged information and
may be legally protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient
of this message or their agent, or if this message has been addressed to you in
error, please immediately alert the sender by reply email and then delete this
message and any attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any use, dissemination, copying, or storage of this
message or its attachments is strictly prohibited.