Hi

On Wed, Mar 9, 2022 at 2:01 PM Akihiko Odaki <akihiko.od...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 2022/03/09 18:53, Marc-André Lureau wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > On Wed, Mar 9, 2022 at 1:32 PM Akihiko Odaki <akihiko.od...@gmail.com
> > <mailto:akihiko.od...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     On 2022/03/09 18:26, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
> >      >    Hi,
> >      >
> >      >> dpy_gfx_switch and dpy_gfx_update need to be called to finish the
> >      >> initialization or switching of the non-OpenGL display. However,
> >     the proposed
> >      >> patch only calls dpy_gfx_switch.
> >      >>
> >      >> vnc actually does not need dpy_gfx_update because the vnc
> >     implementation of
> >      >> dpy_gfx_switch implicitly does the work for dpy_gfx_update, but
> >     the model of
> >      >> ui/console expects the two of dpy_gfx_switch and dpy_gfx_update
> >     is separated
> >      >> and only calling dpy_gfx_switch violates the model.
> >     dpy_gfx_update used to
> >      >> be called even in such a case before and it is a regression.
> >      >
> >      > Well, no, the ->dpy_gfx_switch() callback is supposed to do
> >     everything
> >      > needed to bring the new surface to the screen.  vnc isn't alone
> here,
> >      > gtk for example does the same (see gd_switch()).
> >      >

> > If dpy_gfx_switch() implies a full dpy_gfx_update(), then we would need
> > another callback to just set the new surface. This would avoid
> > intermediary and useless switches to 2d/surface when the scanout is GL.
> >
> > For consistency, we should also declare that gl_scanout_texture and
> > gl_scanout_dmabuf imply full update as well.
> >
> >      > Yes, typically this is roughly the same an explicit
> >     dpy_gfx_update call
> >      > would do.  So this could be changed if it helps making the opengl
> >     code
> >      > paths less confusing, but that should be a separate patch series
> and
> >      > separate discussion.
> >      >
> >      > take care,
> >      >    Gerd
> >      >

> >     Then ui/cocoa is probably wrong. I don't think it does the update
> when
> >     dpy_gfx_switch is called.
> >
> >     Please tell me if you think dpy_gfx_switch shouldn't do the implicit
> >     update in the future. I'll write a patch to do the update in cocoa's
> >     dpy_gfx_switch implementation otherwise.
> >

> > Can we ack this series first and iterate on top? It solves a number of
> > issues already and is a better starting point.
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > --
> > Marc-André Lureau
>
> The call of dpy_gfx_update in displaychangelistener_display_console
> should be removed. It would simplify the patch.
>
> Also it is still not shown that the series is a better alternative to:
> [...]

At this point, your change is much larger than the proposed fixes.

I already discussed the rationale for the current design. To summarize:
- dispatching DCL in the common code allows for greater reuse if an
alternative to dbus emerges, and should help making the code more dynamic
- the GL context split also is a separation of concerns and should help for
alternatives to EGL
- dbus code only handles dbus specifics

My understanding of your proposal is that you would rather see all this
done within the dbus code. I disagree for the reasons above. I may be
proven wrong, but so far, this works as expected minor the left-over and
regressions you pointed out that should be fixed. Going back to a different
design should be done in a next release if sufficiently motivated.
--
Marc-André Lureau