Hi,

> If dpy_gfx_switch() implies a full dpy_gfx_update(), then we would need
> another callback to just set the new surface. This would avoid intermediary
> and useless switches to 2d/surface when the scanout is GL.

We can certainly change what dpy_gfx_switch() is supposed to do.

Current behavior dates back to the days where opengl support didn't
exist, so changing things and doing an explit update (when needed)
instead of an implicit automatic update makes sense to me.

When doing that the current ui implementations need a review though,
that's why I think it would be best to do such a change as separate
patch series.

take care,
  Gerd