On 10/12/22 10:14, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
Daniel, does building the TCG tests work for you? If not, I think we should
just disable containers by default.

I've never (knowingly) tried running TCG tests. IIUC, they are strictly
an opt-in test needing explicit 'make check-tcg', so any container usage
wouldn't be encountered by most contributors ?

Yeah, that is true. But the problems below affect all container usage rather than just firmware builds, so they should be fixed there. configure is able to only run 'make check-tcg' for targets which have a compiler installed.

IOW, I'd like to see

  - Explicit opt-in at configure time for use of container
    downloads during 'make'

This is what I'm proposing, and extending to all targets.

  - Tailor downloads wrt the target list configured

This is already done.

  - Suppress the verbose output to preserve meson progress
    readability

That's in general a tradeoff with long-running tasks. It's difficult to say which is better, for example "make check" also has a verbose output.

Paolo

  - Handle failure during container builds correctly

The problem of data downloads during 'make' arguably applies to
submodules too, but few submodules are needed when the distro
has provided the required deps in packages, and so those submodules
left are small and their download isn't noticably slow / large data
volumes.