On Tue, Jan 24, 2023 at 2:49 AM BALATON Zoltan <bala...@eik.bme.hu> wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Jan 2023, Howard Spoelstra wrote:
> > From a Mac OS guest perspective, via=cuda is needed for Mac OS 9.0.4 due
> > the 2 usb devices (mouse/kbd) issue. And for 10.0/10.1 (my guess would be
> > that these suffer the same usb issue)
> > The real powermac3,1 AGP has no adb.
>
> And do these OSes run on real PowerMac3,1? If so then we likely have a bug
> in USB emulation so maybe that could be fixed? In any case my patch does
> not change mac99 and this should continue to work.
>
> > via=cuda supports Mac OS 9.0.4 up to OS X 10.4. via=pmu is strictly only
> > needed for Mac OS X 10.5 guest (for which the speed reported was hacked
> > 900Mhz to fool the installer), but should support all Mac OS/OS X that
> are
> > now supported.
>
> Since via=pmu is what should be a real machine does it run OS X >=10.2
> already?

A real powermac3,1 (G4 400Mhz/AGP) runs 8.6 up to10.4.11

qemu-system-ppc status:
8.6 will not boot from CD or HD.
9.0.4* with via=pmu only supports mouse, not kbd. Needs via=cuda due to 2
usb device problem
9.1 and 9.2 with via=pmu
10.0 and 10.1 with via=pmu: no mouse and kdb. Needs via=cuda. (so also with
an usb problem)
10.2 with via=pmu (but has serious graphics speed problem, also with
via=cuda)
10.3 and 10.4 with via=pmu
10.5 only with via=pmu (but needs the 900Mhz speed hack).

*9.0.4 will only run with Mac OS Rom version 5.2.1 and above.

It seems via=pmu provides usb mouse first, usb kbd second.
With Mac OS 9.0.4 the second device will not work.
With 10.0 / 10.1 both usb mouse and kbd do not work.

Real hardware provides two USB buses: USB 0 and USB 1. In Qemu by default I
only see one bus: USB 0 into which both mouse and kdb are plugged.
On the real G4 the mouse and kbd are each plugged into another bus, so I
see the kbd on e.g. USB 0 and the mouse on e.g. USB 1.

With -M mac99,via=cuda one USB bus is always created. It has id "usb-bus"
We can add a second USB bus with e.g. -device pci-ohci,id=usb1  (this is
the Apple USB controller).

Then add mouse and kbd to different buses with:
-device usb-mouse,bus=usb-bus.0    (attaches to first and default bus)
-device usb-kbd,bus=usb1.0 (attaches to second bus).

This then mimics what I see on real hardware. Should qemu-system-ppc by
default provide the same?

> > via=pmu-adb seems only needed to trick mac os server installations that
> > would later run on the g3beige.
> >
> > To my knowledge 32 bit Linux guests all require via=pmu
> > See here: https://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/Platforms/PowerPC
>
> That doc might need some updating. It seems to be from before pegasos2 was
> added. Maybe we would be better off linking from this page to others that
> are more actively maintained such as:
> https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/qemu
> and
> http://zero.eik.bme.hu/~balaton/qemu/amiga/

I "maintain" that page with only general information. I can link to the
specific sites you mention.

> or even better updating the main docs in
>
> https://www.qemu.org/docs/master/system/ppc/powermac.html

That would have to be taken up by someone else.

Best,
Howard