On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 9:17 AM, Rob Herring <rob.herr...@calxeda.com>wrote:

> On 01/19/2012 03:44 PM, Peter Maydell wrote:
> > On 19 January 2012 21:31, Mark Langsdorf <mark.langsd...@calxeda.com>
> wrote:
> >> +    highbank_binfo.board_id = 0xEC10100f; /* provided by deviceTree */
> >
> > Where does this number come from? It's not in
> > http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/developer/machines/
> >
> > Is 3027 (==0xbd3) you?
> > http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/developer/machines/list.php?id=3027
> >

> Much of the data there is wrong as none of it is used. 0 or -1 is the
> right value as those are obviously meaningless. A highbank kernel will
> never be booted without devicetree and in that case this number is
> irrelevant. This is the legacy boot interface and qemu really needs to
> learn to boot with a separate dtb.

We partially addressed this issue in our rejected device tree machine model
patch series from last year.  We added two new DTB-related arguments to the
qemu cmdline:

--kernel-dtb which is the DTB that gets passed through to the kernel, and
--hw-dtb which is the DTB describing the actual hardware (we were making
QDEV system models by scanning and parsing the device tree)

If only a HW DTB is provided, then that same DTB is used for the kernel.
 There are situations when you might want them to be different.

Rgds,

John

--
John Williams, PhD, B. Eng, B. IT
PetaLogix - Linux Solutions for a Reconfigurable World