On Mon, May 08, 2023 at 03:28:04PM +0200, Mads Ynddal wrote:

> > A question for you: do you think it's possible to move simpletrace into
> > qemu/python/utils? This requires cleaning up the code to some fairly
> > pedantic standards, but helps protect it against rot as we change target
> > python versions.
> >
> > No problem if that's too much to ask. just want to know if you had looked
> > into it.
>
> Potentially, this would be possible. But `simpletrace.py` imports
> `qemu/scripts/tracetool/`, so that would have to be moved as well, or
> installed
> as a package. I haven't touched the `tracetool` code itself, so I'm not sure
> how
> feasible it is (i.e. how many other places use `tracetool`).

tracetool is only used by QEMU's build system to generate code from the
trace-events files. In theory it's possible to move it.

I'm not sure I understand the purpose of moving it to python/. What
infrastructure does python/ provide that's not available to
simpletrace.py in its current location?

Stefan